Get your free API Key ! The API is free to process up to 5000 names / month.
NEW! NamSor has a new self-service website with CSV upload/processing for non-IT people. Both NamSor website and Gender Guesser use the same API and will return the same results, but Gender Guesser is specialized on inferring gender from names, while NamSor offers multiple taxonomies for diversity analytics (gender, US ‘race’/ethnicity, country, origin, diaspora …).
Are you a data scientist? Check out those scientific papers on Google Scholar for relevant literature. Here are some recent blog posts about gender studies,
- How gender diverse is Global Surgery ?
- New scientific paper (pre-print) – Communicating company earnings with vocal emotions.
- Open Source : Gender Analysis of Implicit Mentoring
- What’s the gender gap among economists?
NamSor Gender API is quite unique in the way we combine the first name and the last name together, to recognize the likely cultural origin and gender at the same time, for higher precision and recall.
NEW! We’ve made significant improvements on Chinese Names.
Did you know? You would expect Jean, Julia, Karen to be female names. Karen is usually a female name, but in Armenia, it is a male name. Same for JULIÀ : in Spain/Catalunya is a male name. Or Jean, in France – male again. Culture matters!
- Andrea Rossini is (more likely) a male name
- Andrea Parker is (more likely) a female name
For better precision, the geographic context (country ISO code 2) can appended to the request :
- Andrea Parker is (more likely) a female name, esp. in the United-States.
Global coverage : NamSor covers all languages, alphabets, countries, regions. We constantly improve the precision, working with linguists, anthropologist and historians. We can recognize, for example, the gender of Indian names in scripts such as TELUGU, ORIYA, GURMUKHI, MALAYALAM, BENGALI, GUJARATI, KANNADA, DEVANAGARI, TAMIL, ARABIC, LATIN. We can recognize, for example, the Armenian origin of names in CYRILLIC, GEORGIAN, ARMENIAN, ARABIC, LATIN.
The Gender API is free to use for individual calls, but if you register, you will get additional benefits such as: higher throughput (to genderize thousands of names per second), integration with data mining tools, …
We also provide other name APIs, NamSor Origin and NamSor Diaspora to infer the likely nationality or ethnicity/diaspora of social groups, based on personal names.
Add-on and clients libraries :
- Java Command Line Tool for large CSV files on GitHub
- Java SDK v2 on GitHub
- Python SDK v2 on GitHub
- Python Command Line Tool for large CSV files on GitHub
- SalesForce add-on on Github
This is where you can go for additional information:
- NamSor Web Site, Blog and API
- NamSor APP V2
- NamSor V2 API Doc (Swagger)
- Release Notes & additional documentation
- Gender Gap Grader
- Chinese Names Translation
- Yet an other API for Global Phone Number Validation
contact (at) namsor.com
You must log in to post a comment.